Wednesday 30 May 2012

I built my bed!!

As I am writing to you now, I'm sitting on my new double bed - which I made, all by myself! 
(with a little help from Ikea)


It started out its life in flat pack boxes.


4 boxes to be exact, 2 slatted bed base pieces, a galvanized beam and a mattress.


I decided the best place to start is the headboard - it has storage in the sides!


So I ripped the first box open and began.


The first frame section was easy enough!


Then I had to build up the hidden storage compartments.


Put them together!


Yay! It fits :D
(that plank is holding it to the wall so it doesn't fall over - it's the top of the headboard which forms a shelf)


Time for the actual bed now...


Starting with the internal frame - better get this right or the bed might just collapse in the middle of the night!


Now building up the outside frame.


And then the reinforced metal frame - for the times I want to jump on my bed!


Lay the slatted bed base across the top and secure in place :)


Make the 4 drawers and slide into gap for storage!


Push the bed up against the headboard and fix the headboard shelf plank on top.


And finished with the hard work! My dolphin lamp adds a nice touch, right?


 Et voila! Mattress, duvet and pillows :D

For references, these are the three items I got:
Brimnes Bed frame w storage+slatted bedbase, white
Brimnes Headboard with storage compartment, white
Sultan Hagavik Active Pocket Sprung Mattress

I would advise you to visit a store to try out all the different mattresses to find the one that suits you the best. 

Have you ever bought any furniture that you assembled from Ikea??

Love love and bedlove!!
Toffee xXxXx

4 comments:

  1. have bought anything from ikea but once i built my parents bed, i love doing these type of things
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Yeah, it was really fun :) And I love to feel that sense of accomplishment x

      Delete
  2. I once built my wardrobe, bed side table and a set of drawers it took me 16 hours im not even exaggerating :| lol it nearly finished me off! well done for making ur bed! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job! Mine took me about 6 hours in total. But I think I pulled a muscle in my hand from screwing in the screws... LOL x

      Delete